Portfolio

What were some of the highlights, surprises and/or challenges you encountered as a researcher and a writer? Why might these experiences be important to your development as a research writer? Provide specific examples.

In this class, I was challenged, in a great way, by all of the different types of writing we had to do. I had to write things for this class that I would have never thought about writing, such as our interviews and reviews. I think these experiences were important to my development as a research writer because I learned about the creation process of these genres of writing. For example, I had never really even thought about how much research an interviewer would have to do before interviewing their subject. I found that I went very in depth about the background of my interview topic before I went into the interview, because I didn’t want to waste the time of my interviewee by making them answer easy questions that I should have looked up before going into the interview. That is just one example of how I have developed as a research writer.

Reflect on the topic of inquiry: Encountering Art. How did research and writing impact your engagement, interest or understanding as you worked within the arts inquiry?

I am usually pretty surrounded by art on a daily basis. I came into the course thinking that I wouldn’t really learn a whole lot about the art that I encounter, but I now know that this is false. The projects that we did, such as the reviews, really made me think in a different way about the art I was seeing. The review for example, I had to think about describing my own personal experiences to an outside audience, but not relate it back to myself a lot, which was something challenging to me, but I enjoyed thinking about the art I was coming in contact with in a different way than I had ever thought about it before.

Which of your projects do you most hope others will read and be influenced by? Why? Which of the secondary sources (shared readings, researched materials) or primary sources (interview, arts encounters, observations) were most influential or important to you and your work as a research writer? Why?

I hope that people will be influenced by my controversy guide. I had noticed that when I had brought up my topic in class, not too many people knew too much about it, and I feel as though that my topic has a deep underlying lesson that will be relevant in the world now and for years to come. I also hope that people will just learn something new from my guide. Going along the lines of my guide, I think that the secondary source that was most influential to me was the Dismaland video. I always knew that there were people who did and didn’t like certain art, but this really opened up my eyes to how influential art can really be and I think that this will stick with me for a long time.

How do the practices for research and research writing we have been doing this semester contrast or relate to other research work you are encountering or may encounter in the future (think across contexts–school, professional or personal research and writing)? Are there practices, learning or ideas from WRT 205 that you believe may be useful in current or future research writing situations? Have you developed any new understanding about the differences among and between research writing situations? Try to be as specific as possible. Include examples.

I think that the reviews will be the most helpful to me. I believe that in my life I will be having to describe lots of performances and shows, so getting a good base on how to create a good, solid review will be the most beneficial to me. I feel that I have gotten a new understanding and appreciation for how much work really goes into different writing situations. The one that surprised me the most, like mentioned earlier, was the interview. It is so much more than preparing questions and asking them, and that project really opened my eyes up to that.

Featured Summary Heuristic

The summary heuristic I chose to feature from this semester was my summary heuristic on Teju Cole’s, “A True Picture of Black Skin.” The reason why I chose this heuristic is because I felt like when I was filling out the heuristic, I was learning more and more about the author’s piece. I usually found myself learning new things will filling out the heuristics, but I really got into this one. I found the topic so interesting and it was something I had never thought about, so I was learning about a new issue while also furthering my skills of summarizing pieces. I also chose this because while my summary is succinct, the information provided packs a punch and it is very informative.

Click here for the Revised Unit 3 Project

Some more work I was proud of this semester! 

Arts Encounter #2

Before the event: The event that I chose to attend was a senior recital at the Setnor school of music. The recital was done by a mezzo-soprano singer. I wasn’t quite sure what it meant to be a mezzo-soprano, and I found out that it is the voice of a female singer in between soprano and alto, and it is known as a “half soprano” voice type. Unfortunately, the program is not released until about 20 minutes before the performance so I was not able to look into the songs being performed, but I did just listen to some classical voice pieces before I went to the recital, and something that I always forget that is very interesting about singing is that singers have to learn to sing in many different languages even though they may only speak just one.

During the event:  When I walked into the auditorium, I had taken a packet along with a program. The packet contained translations of all of the songs that were not sung in English. I found this to be a very important aspect of the performance. While the singer had a wonderful voice, it would have been very hard to get the same experience without knowing what she was singing about. Usually when I go to musical performances of classical music, the audience is usually quite serious and intent on listening very carefully. I found this recital to be a bit different from that. The lyrics to some of the songs that were sung were very humorous and silly, and the singer delivered them with perfect facial expression and body language, so even though the words were being sung in a different language, it was very relevant to know when something was funny, or when something became very solemn and quiet in the lyrics. The last song that she sang was my favorite song. It was very beautiful, and it was a slow song that had a light and flowing. When I first heard the chords in the piano, it had sounded like music that originated in Asia. After the song ended there was a brief pause of silence and it really added to the experience of the song. After the recital ended, I had found out that the last song was written by the singer’s mother just for this recital. Her mother is from Korea and has been a composer for almost all of her life.

Questions: One question that I really thought about especially at intermission, was how do singers go about selecting their repertoire for concerts and recitals? I felt the songs at this recital went very well together and I am wondering if it just happened to work out very well, or if there was a method to the madness of song selection. Another question I was thinking about all throughout the performance was how do singers learn how to pronounce so many words in different languages without knowing how to speak it? It is quite impressive.

Writing Presentation:

“Selfie” Heuristic

Background/Context of Guide and Writer: Though this event happened 2 years ago, the principle of what happened is still very relevant in today’s issues. I, the writer, had heard about what happened during this attack and was never really quite sure what “side to take” so I still remain somewhat neutral to this tragedy/controversy.

Genre: A newcomer’s guide to the Charlie Hebdo attack. In this guide I plan to explain the magazine and what they represent, as well as some background on the religion of Islam

Aims/Methods/Materials: In this guide I plan to explain the magazine and what they represent, as well as some background on the religion of Islam. I feel as though if the reader understands what both sides of this controversy believe in, they will be able to get a better understanding of why everything happened the way that it did two years ago.

Flashpoints & Keywords/Concepts: Points of the controversy

-Not depicting the prophet

-Freedom of speech

-Where do we draw the line?

Audience: The general public – anybody interested in learning about how art can shape or break a society

Two Sentence Summary: In this guide, I hope to give the reader an overview of the people and societies involved in this attack, and why this event is important to art and our rights. The attack is something that we can learn from today and I believe it is important to understand it.

Video to explain controversy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6hU3nhudRg&t=117s

Some Background on Islam:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/living/islam-prophet-images/

History with a Small “h” summary heuristic

Background/Context: Rachel Middleman is the assistant professor of Art History at California State University, Chico. She teaches courses on modern, contemporary, and American art history.

Genre: Arts Interview

Aims/Methods/Materials: The purpose of this interview (Q&A) is to get the artist to explain the reactions he is trying to arise from the art viewer, since the artists art comes off as very simple and “everyday” but there is quite a twist on it.

Flashpoints/Keywords: “I wanted people to think about uses of public spaces, particularly queer uses of public spaces, because there was some cruising going on in the downtown area.”

“…it’s about memorializing a moment, but it doesn’t memorialize the before and after.”

Audience: Art enthusiasts, members of the LGBT community, townsfolk

Two Sentence Summary: Glenn Ligon has created plaques placed around San Antonio, Texas that explain “cruising” encounters and experiences. In this interview, the artist elaborates on what inspired him to make these plaques, and what reactions he was trying to get from the public, versus the messages he was trying to send out.