Controversy Presentation

“Selfie” Heuristic

Background/Context of Guide and Writer: Though this event happened 2 years ago, the principle of what happened is still very relevant in today’s issues. I, the writer, had heard about what happened during this attack and was never really quite sure what “side to take” so I still remain somewhat neutral to this tragedy/controversy.

Genre: A newcomer’s guide to the Charlie Hebdo attack. In this guide I plan to explain the magazine and what they represent, as well as some background on the religion of Islam

Aims/Methods/Materials: In this guide I plan to explain the magazine and what they represent, as well as some background on the religion of Islam. I feel as though if the reader understands what both sides of this controversy believe in, they will be able to get a better understanding of why everything happened the way that it did two years ago.

Flashpoints & Keywords/Concepts: Points of the controversy

-Not depicting the prophet

-Freedom of speech

-Where do we draw the line?

Audience: The general public – anybody interested in learning about how art can shape or break a society

Two Sentence Summary: In this guide, I hope to give the reader an overview of the people and societies involved in this attack, and why this event is important to art and our rights. The attack is something that we can learn from today and I believe it is important to understand it.

Some background on Islam and its beliefs:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/living/islam-prophet-images/

Some more Charlie Hebdo Covers

The cover of Charlie Hebdo after the attack